The Next Generation of Sustainable Insulation. . .
Naturally from Knauf Insulation –
Think of it as green, only browner
Knauf Insulation EcoBatt® Insulation doesn’t look like any insulation you’ve ever seen, but that’s because its natural brown color represents a level of sustainability we've never before achieved.
The color comes from ECOSE Technology; a revolutionary binder chemistry that enhances the sustainability of our products. The “binder” is the bond that holds our glass mineral wool product together and gives the product its shape and brown color. ECOSE Technology is a plant-based, sustainable chemistry that replaces the phenol/formaldehyde (PF) binder traditionally used in glass mineral wool products. Products using ECOSE technology are formaldehyde-free and have reduced global warming potential when compared to our products of the past.
EcoBatt Insulation combines sand, one of the world’s most abundant resources, recycled bottle glass and ECOSE Technology to create the next generation of sustainable insulation…naturally from Knauf Insulation.
Knauf Insulation EcoBatt Insulation are thermal and acoustical products made from highly resilient, inorganic glass fibers bonded by a thermosetting resin. The products are available unfaced or with kraft, foil, or flame-rated FSK-25 (Foil-Scrim-Kraft) foil facings.
Knauf Insulation EcoBatt Insulation are cost-effective thermal and acoustical barriers for energy-efficient construction. Their consistent quality, low dust, and clean-cutting resilient fibers make fabrication easy and installation fast. The products can be used in new and retrofit wood and metal frame applications in residential and commercial structures, as well as in manufactured housing applications. These applications include thermal and acoustical treatments to walls, ceilings, and floors.
In addition, High Density (HD) batts are available where optimal thermal performance is required and space for insulation is limited. High Density Cathedral Ceiling Batts, for example, deliver greater R-value in less space, so builders can increase R-values and still maintain adequate space for ventilation.
Knauf Insulation EcoBatt Staple-Free Batts are flange-less kraft-faced batts which friction fit between wood studs eliminating the need to staple in place. These batts are designed for use in standard 2" x 4" wood framed construction where the stud spacing is no more than 16" on center.
Knauf Insulation offers a full line of standard and high-density batts and blankets with a wide range of sizes and R-values. Available unfaced, or with kraft or flame-rated (FSK) foil facings, Knauf Insulation's residential insulation can be used for cavity walls, floors, ceilings, attics, basements, and crawl spaces. It is highly resilient, recovering quickly to full thickness. It also greatly reduces the transmission of noise in the house.
This full line of standard and high-density batts and blankets for wood and metal frame construction is available unfaced or with kraft, foil, or flame-rated (FSK) foil facings. Knauf Insulation EcoBatt Insulation can improve STC ratings in wood stud construction by 3 to 5 points and in metal stud construction by 8 to 10 points, depending on the complexity of the wall configuration and layers of insulation. Knauf Insulation's commercial building insulation can be used for exterior and partition walls, floors, crawl spaces, and a variety of ceiling applications.
Knauf Insulation Manufactured Housing Insulation is a full line of batts and blankets with a wide range of R-values, lengths, and widths. It is designed to work efficiently with pre-manufactured structures of all widths. Available unfaced in widths up to 192" (4.88 m) or with kraft facing in widths up to 24" (610 mm), it can be used for cavity walls, floors, and ceiling applications.
Knauf Insulation's full line of retail batts and blankets comes in a wide range of sizes and R-values, and is available unfaced or with kraft facing. They can be cut to fit any wall cavity or used as-is to insulate long runs like floor or ceiling areas. This highly resilient insulation recovers quickly for a snug fit and assured thermal performance. Knauf Insulation's retail roll packaging has easy-to-identify R-value and application information to help your customers find the right product quickly.
Features & Benefits
- Made primarily from sand, one of the world’s most abundant resources
- Lower embodied energy than our traditional batts
- Rapidly renewable binder eliminates non-renewable petroleum-based chemicals
- Contains no phenol, formaldehyde, acrylics or artificial colors
High Recycled Content
- Achieved a UL Environment claim validation for over 50% recycled glass content
- Thermally Efficient
- Excellent insulating value
- Excellent insulating value.
- Reduces airborne sound transmission
- Significantly improves STC ratings of wall configurations
- Cuts easily and cleanly
- Recovers quickly
- Less dusty
- Friendly feel
- Enhances productivity
- Extra-wide stapling flange for faster, easier installation.
- Durable facing resists tears and is marked in one-foot increments.
- ASTM C 665*; Type I, Class A (unfaced)
- ASTM C 665*; Type II, Class C (kraft faced)
- ASTM C 665*; Type III, Class A (FSK-25 foil faced)
- ASTM C 665*; Type III, Class B (foil faced)
- GREENGUARD certified by UL Environment
- GREENGUARD Gold certified by UL Environment
- California Energy Commission
- Dade County, Florida
- MEA #498-90-M
- State of Minnesota
- *Federal Specification HH-I-521F has been canceled and replaced by ASTM C 665.
Surface Burning Characteristics
- Unfaced and flame-rated (FSK) foil faced products do not exceed 25 Flame Spread, 50 Smoke Developed when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84.
- Kraft faced products have a water vapor permeance of 1.0 or less.
- FSK foil faced products have ratings of .04.
- Foil faced products have ratings of .05.
- Tested and shown to be below OSHA limits.
- Diminishes to non-detectable levels within a short time frame.
Water Vapor Sorption (ASTM C 1104)
- 5% maximum by weight.
Corrosion (ASTM C 665)
- No greater than sterile cotton.
Microbial Growth (ASTM C 1338)
- Does not support microbial growth or attract insects or vermin. In addition to being classified as mold resistant by GREENGUARD, EcoBatt Insulation has passed exhaustive entomological testing at leading institutions in the US and UK.
Noncombustibility (ASTM E 136)
- Noncombustible (unfaced).
ECOSE Technology contains no phenol, formaldehyde, acrylics or artificial colors. EcoBatt Insulation is certified for indoor air quality as a low emitting product by Knauf Insulation products with ECOSE Technology contain no phenol, formaldehyde, acrylics or artificial colors. These products are certified by UL Environment for indoor air quality (IAQ) as low emitting products and where noted, have achieved the more stringent GREENGUARD Gold certification and verified to be formaldehyde-free. For more information, visit: http://greenguard.org/
Our packages feature complete installation instructions and highly visible color coding system, which follows industry standards, making Knauf Insulation products easy to select.
- Knauf Insulation packages are lightweight, stack without slipping, and are sized to fit easily under floors and through scuttle holes.
- Batts are packaged in strong, white poly bags that offer excellent protection from abuse, dust, and moisture.
- Knauf Insulation's unitized packaging combines four batt bags in one convenient banded package, which requires less space for storage and makes loading, unloading, and job site delivery easier.
- Standard rolls may be skip-chopped to specific lengths and are packaged in clear poly overwrap that protects the product during shipment and storage.
- Retail rolls stack easily for display and are unitized to simplify storage and handling.
- Retail rolls have complete DIY installation instructions and helpful product selection guides.