Sonic XP® Duct Liner
Knauf Insulation Sonic XP™ Duct Liner with ECOSE® Technology is a flexible, mat-faced insulation bonded with ECOSE Technology. It is faced with a tightly bonded mat to give the airstream a smooth, tough surface, resisting damage during installation and operation. The encapsulant edge coating eliminates airstream flaring.
ECOSE Technology is a revolutionary binder chemistry that enhances the sustainability of our products. The “binder” is the bond that holds our glass mineral wool product together and gives the product its shape and brown color. ECOSE Technology is a plant-based, sustainable chemistry that replaces the phenol/formaldehyde (PF) binder traditionally used in glass mineral wool products. Products using ECOSE technology are formaldehyde-free and have reduced global warming potential when compared to our products of the past.
Specifically designed as an interior insulation material for sheet metal ducts used in heating, ventilating and air conditioning. Provides an optimum combination of efficient sound absorption, low thermal conductivity and minimal airstream surface friction.
Features and Benefits
- Low thermal conductivity.
- Fire-resistant, non-corrosive, durable and resilient.
- Tough, tightly bonded mat facing.
- Excellent sound absorption.
- Energy conservation.
- Better temperature control.
- Lowers operating costs.
- Greatly reduces noise from fans and mechanical equipment as well as cross-talk and air movement.
- Withstands damage from normal handling and shop abuse.
- If necessary, can be cleaned in accordance with NAIMA’s “Cleaning Fibrous Glass Insulated Air Duct Systems Recommended Practices.”
- Certified by UL Environment for indoor air quality (IAQ) as low emitting products and where noted, have achieved the more stringent GREENGUARD Gold certification and verified to be formaldehyde-free.
- Sustainability — Carbon negative: Knauf Insulation products used for thermal insulating purposes recover the energy that it took to make them in just hours or a few days, depending on the application. Once installed, the product continues to save energy and reduce carbon generation as long as it is in place.
- Glass mineral wool insulation with ECOSE Technology contains three primary ingredients:
- Sand, one of the world’s most abundant and renewable resources
- Post-consumer recycled bottle glass
- ECOSE Technology which reduces binder embodied energy by up to 70%
- ASTM C 1071; Type I
- ASTM G 21
- GREENGUARD certified by UL Environment
- GREENGUARD Gold certified by UL Environment
- NFPA 90A and 90B
- CAN/ULC S102-M88
Surface Burning Characteristics
- UL/ULC classified.
- Does not exceed 25 Flame Spread, 50 Smoke Developed when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84, CAN/ULC S102-M88, NFPA 255 and UL 723.
Temperature Range (ASTM C 411)
- Up to 250°F (121°C).
Air Velocity (ASTM C 1071)
- Maximum 6000 fpm (1829 mpm).
- Tested to 15,000 fpm (4572 mpm).
Corrosiveness (ASTM C 665)
- Does not accelerate corrosion on steel, copper or aluminum.
Corrosion (ASTM C 1617)
- The corrosion rate in mils/yr will not exceed that of the 1 ppm chloride solution.
Water Vapor Sorption (ASTM C 1104)
- Less than 3% by weight.
- (INDA IST 80.6-92) ≥ 4
Microbial Growth (ASTM C 1338, G 21, G 22)
- Airstream surface mat facing is treated with an EPA-registered anti-microbial agent to aid in the prevention of fungal and bacterial growth.
- Does not promote or support the growth of mold, fungi or bacteria.
Application & Specification Guidelines
- Inside storage is recommended.
Fabrication and Application
- Fabricate in compliance with the latest edition of NAIMA’s Fibrous Glass Duct Liner Standard.
- Liner shall be folded and compressed in the corners of rectangular duct sections or shall be cut and fit to assure lapped, compressed joints. Longitudinal joints in duct liner should not occur except at the corner of ducts. Longitudinal joints in liner shall be coated with adhesive. All damaged areas of the air stream surface shall be repaired with an adhesive which conforms to ASTM C 916.
- Liner should be adhered to the duct with 90% minimum area coverage of an adhesive which conforms to ASTM C 916.
- Mechanical fasteners should not compress the insulation more than ⅛" (3 mm), and shall be installed perpendicular to the duct surface. All fasteners should comply with the guidelines of NAIMA’s Fibrous Glass Duct Liner Standard and the Mechanical Fastener’s Standard MF-1-1975.
- Metal nosings shall be securely installed over transversely oriented liner edges facing the airstream at fan discharge, at access doors and at any interval of lined duct preceded by unlined duct. In addition, where velocities exceed 4000 fpm (1219 mpm), metal nosing small be used on upstream edges of liner at every transverse joint.
Knauf Sonic XP Duct Liner with ECOSE Technology should not be used in systems operating at velocities exceeding 6000 fpm (1829 mpm) or at temperatures above 250°F (121°C).
Glass Mineral Wool and Mold
Glass mineral wool insulation will not sustain mold growth. However, mold can grow on almost any material when it becomes wet and contaminated. Carefully inspect any insulation that has been exposed to water. If it shows any sign of mold, it must be discarded. If the material is wet but shows no evidence of mold, it should be dried rapidly and thoroughly. If it shows signs of facing degradation from wetting, it should be replaced. Air handling insulation used in the air stream must be discarded if exposed to water.
The chemical physical properties of Knauf Sonic XP Duct Liner with ECOSE Technology represent typical average values determined in accordance with accepted test methods. The data is subject to normal manufacturing and testing variations. The data is supplied as a technical service and is subject to change without notice. References to numerical flame spread ratings are not intended to reflect hazards presented by these or any other materials under actual fire conditions. When condensation is permitted to occur between nested Duct Liner and galvanized steel panels, discoloration of the metal may occur.
Check with your Knauf Insulation sales representative to assure information is current.
Knauf Insulation products with ECOSE Technology contain no phenol, formaldehyde, acrylics or artificial colors. These products are certified by UL Environment for indoor air quality (IAQ) as low emitting products and where noted, have achieved the more stringent GREENGUARD Gold certification and verified to be formaldehyde-free. For more information, visit: www.ul.org/gg
SOUND ABSORPTION COEFFICIENTS, OCTAVE BANDS (ASTM C 423, TYPE A MOUNTING)
FRICTION LOSS (INCHES OF WATER PER 100 FT.)
THERMAL CONDUCTANCE, C AND RESISTANCE, R (ASTM C 177)