Tax Credit Information

Save Energy and up to $500 in Taxes for Adding Insulation to Your Home

How can I get a tax credit?

  1. Upgrade the insulation in your existing home between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2016.
  2. File the IRS Form 5695 with your taxes.
  3. Save your receipt and a completed manufacturer’s certification with your tax records.

How much is the tax credit worth?

You can get a tax credit of up to $500 or 10% of the cost of insulation you add to your existing home as authorized in Section 25C of the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012.

Which areas of my home should I insulate?

The tax credit applies only to improvements made to the building envelope (the area along the perimeter of the home that separates the living space from the outside) and includes attics, foundation and exterior walls, basements and crawl spaces.

Which Knauf Insulation products can I use?

Our full line of residential products qualify for the tax credit including EcoSeal Plus™ for air leaks in your home. See the Manufacturer's Certification above for the list of products.

How much insulation should I add?

The map shows insulation R-values that should meet the criteria for the tax credit. Typically, this means adding between R-19 and R-30 insulation in your attic.

Can I have the insulation professionally installed?

Only the cost of the insulation is eligible for the tax credit, not the installation/labor fees. However, if you do hire an insulation contractor, be sure to get an itemized receipt separating the costs of the material from the labor.


Knauf Insulation does not state or imply that each and every insulation installation job will qualify for a tax credit. Knauf Insulation does not warrant or guarantee a tax benefit will be awarded for each and every addition of insulation. Eligibility may vary by jurisdiction. Please carefully consult the Internal Revenue Service ( guidelines on how to qualify for the energy efficiency tax credit.